Photobucket

THIRD D3GREE was eliminated during last week's semi-final after finding themselves in the B2 against favourite Taylor. Tonight, the Top 3 will battle it out one last time in the hopes of becoming Samantha Jade's successor. Will it be pop princess Dami Im? Bieber wannabe Jai Wateford? Or alternative singer Taylor Henderson? ... It's time to face the music!

Recap after the jump ...



Taylor Henderson

 photo TaylorHenderson.png

"Some Nights" - 7/10 - Taylor heads back home to visit his friends and family. It's super windy, something Taylor loves. "It's Irish weather" Ronan concludes. Taylor didn't think he knew this many people but all he wanted to do was see his family. After a barbecue, Taylor gives Ronan a surprise, shearing his own sheep! He acts as if he's never done it before but we all know Ronan is an Irish farm boy. Haha. Now Ronan has a surprise for Taylor, his own chopper! "It felt like a car but moving in the air" he says. They head to the pier for an exclusive Taylor performance. To him, this was right up there with his best XF moments. This was a great performance the first time around and it's still pretty great but it didn't have the same effect on me. He kinda missed a lyric I think. I love his style though, his album will certainly be phenomenal. "I've known you from even way back, from before your first audition on this show. It's amazing, you've grown a long way. I think there was some little discrepancy with the start, you picked it up, it was brilliant" (Dannii)



Jai Waetford

 photo JaiWaetford.png

"Your Eyes" - 6/10 - He had a blast in the studio. He loves the song so much. He really, really, really, really wanna get a chance to release it. A nice enough would-be-single. It appropriately uses Jai's mellow tone and wispy voice. The song is super bland though, it's not catchy, nor powerful, nor different enough. It's very Bieber-esque though, which I guess is what Jai will do after the show. I don't think it'll sound half bad recorded, his voice is really suitable for it. "It's been an absolute honor to mentor you. You are a dream. It's incredible, you are an inspiration. That's a brand new song, you just made that your own and this could walk into radio" (Ronan)



Dami Im

 photo DamiIm.png

"Hero" - 7/10 - Dami and Dannii flew business to Dami's home. No, not Korea, Brisbane. Then she got into a limo for the first time. "Really? Are you kidding me?" Dannii asks, as if it's the most normal thing ever. First stop, Dami's school which is flooded with tiny kids. Her first music mentor runs to hug her. Back in the limo and off to reunite Dami with her family and friends. Her adorable husband doesn't want Dami to go again. "I thought the crowd at my school was big but when we pulled in Westfield it was almost intimidating" Dami says about Dannii's surprise. "It was such an amazing day and to finish it with a gig for my fans it was just the perfect end to the perfect day" she adds. I wasn't a fan of this song choice during her audition and I'm not one either. It's such an overdone, cheesy song. Not even Dami's massive vocals can make me remotely like this song. I wonder what she'd choose now if she had to audition again. Probably not this song. "The transformation with you has just been spectacular to watch and that is because of the two of you working together. You are humble girlfriend, and it's so beautiful to see that and it's so important to have that in a career. You'll go so far in this industry because of that" (Nat)



Taylor Henderson

 photo TaylorHenderson.png

"Borrow My Heart"  - 7,5/10 - He couldn't have been happier when they gave him this song. Ronan thinks this song sounds like an international hit. A much better song than Jai's. Taylor could've played a little bit more with his voice, cause I think it sounded too soft and safe in parts, but this is a solid enough debut. No "What You've Done To Me", but I wasn't loving that one on first listen either. When sang at the top of his range is when the song shone. "When you were performing I imagined you were one of the guest performers on the show. That's how good it looked like. It was cool, I love the country feel" (Foo)



Jai Waetford

 photo JaiWaetford.png

"The Only Exception" - 5,5/10 - "Everything is at stake right now" Ronan tells him, "this is the kind of performance that can make all your dreams come true". To be honest, he sounded a lot better during rehearsals. This performance is just ok, Jai is capable of giving us something greater. I mean, his voice sounded great but that just isn't enough. He needed to connect with this tune and I wasn't feeling it. "To me, you always perform 100% but that, you just took me to another place. You connected to that song better than you had in the entire competition" (Nat)



Dami Im

 photo DamiIm.png

"Alive" - 7/10 - She wouldn't mind recording in the studio every single day of her life. She felt she belongs there. "Imagine I'm driving and I hear my playing song on the radio, I'd be like 'wow that's me, everybody listen, it's Dami. That's me'" she says. Mmm. I'm not entirely sure about this. It's something you'd hear Katy Perry doing but not Dami. She didn't look comfortable with it. Her voice is terrific and I just don't believe this song did her justice. Then again, I don't really know what I was expecting. "You're performing there and I can just see the bill on those great concerts, I can see Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Dami Im. All those names together because that's how good you are, you are incredible" (Ronan)



Jai Waetford

 photo JaiWaetford.png

"Don't Let Me Go" - 7/10 - First stop for Jai was his school. All his classmates are there. His favourite subject is music. After school, Jai was hungry so they headed to his favourite bakery in town. They eat a "Jai pie". Back to their house next. Ronan is not only introduced to Jai's family but also to his best friend, "Flaky", his pet lizard. Final stop, a concert at the mall. I remember how much I liked this song the first time. Jai's sweet voice and his guitar was all the tune needed to come to life. Not having him repeat that same performance was probably a bad move cause while I enjoyed this a lot more than most of his performances, it wasn't as good as his first audition. Hopefully that means he can only aspire for the third place. "Oh man. You're the first contestant to perform his own song on the show. You did that a 14 years of age. What's next?!" (Ronan)



Taylor Henderson

 photo TaylorHenderson.png

"The Blower's Daughter"  - 7,5/10 - "It's such a beautiful melody, it's got a very angelic and quite beautiful sound to it" Taylor says. Ronan thinks this could be the biggest moment of the XF 2013. Gorgeous vocals, Ronan made a great job picking this one. It fits Taylor's voice like a glove. Unfortunately, Taylor forgot the lyrics mid-performance and kinda ruined it. It took him a while to get back on track but when he did he really shone, the emotion was spot on. There's no denying he's a talented person. But will he be able to take it all after that slip up? "I've been a proud mentor working alongside you. You are a real talent, you are a real star, you have what it takes. You have to shake off these nerves cause all that was is nerves. You are a worthy winner" (Ronan)



Dami Im

 photo DamiIm.png

"And I'm Telling You" - 9,5/10 - Dami is very happy with this song choice because she can pour everything into that one song. Wow! This was the first performance worthy of being in the finale. Up to now, it's all been ok but Dami took this song to a whole new level. Magnificent, crystal-clear vocals. If there ever was a doubt she deserved winning, it has been vanished with that. To think she didn't even make it to JH in the first place. All the judges stand on the table for her! That's a new one. The crowd goes insane. "So humble, you were then, you still are now. You are absolutely divine and I really, truly think you are world class baby. I love you to pieces" (Dannii)



Ranking
  1. Dami Im
  2. Taylor Henderson
  3. Jai Waetford

 
Results

Third:

Jai Waetford

Thank God! I didn't mind him being in the finale, cause being honest, he's performed quite decently tonight. THIRD D3GREE should've been here but with the amount of pimping Jai's got, it was inevitable. He's talented but he's not ready yet. He's evolved during the competition but had he waited a few more years, he could have won. I know Sony will sign him though, they can definitely market him as an Australian Bieber.

Taylor Henderson

 photo TaylorHenderson.png

"Wake Me Up"  - "As I told you once, if you find a job doing something you love like you have, you'll never work another day in your life" his dad tells him. Even though his best performance was "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", that just happened last week so it's nice to revisit his other better delivery. He definitely was enjoying himself up there and that was entertaining to watch. Loved the final lines.



Dami Im

 photo DamiIm.png

"Purple Rain" - "Now you are famous in Australia but to me, you're the same girl that I fell in love with. I'm so proud of you, you've already achieved your dream and that makes me so happy" his husband says. "We are so proud of you, you've done so well" her mom says. "You're amazing, I love you" her dad adds. This was indeed a great performance but I was kinda hoping she did "Clarity". This was pretty special though, possibly even better than the first time she did it. There's rain pouring all over her. She's soaking wet. Haha.



Results



Second:

Taylor Henderson

First:

Dami Im


So in the end, I was rooting for Dami. Taylor would've been a great winner as well, his folky Mumford and Sons-esque sound would've sell a lot of records. I'm certain he'll be signed. Dami deserved this win. She's outperformed every single act and simply was the better singer. I'm not sure what her music will sound like but with a voice like hers, I'm sure it'll sound spectacular either way. Congratulations Dami! And see you all next year!

Share this :